Another tasty recipe from El Akil Benasissa – the Head Chef at The George Hotel and Brasserie in Buckden 01480 812 300 @GeorgeBuckden
Chocolate Marquise with salted caramel sauce
250g digestive biscuits
100g melted butter
100ml semi-skimmed milk
75ml whipping cream
340g dark chocolate
90g egg yolk
100g caster sugar
150g salted butter
1. Crush the biscuits and mix in the melted butter, press into the bottom of individual rings or moulds.
2. Heat the milk and cream on a medium heat.
3. Meanwhile whisk the egg yolk and sugar in a bowl until pale. As the milk and cream come to the boil carefully pour it over the egg and sugar mixture whisking altogether continuously.
3. Break up the chocolate into small pieces and stir into the mixture, whisk again until the chocolate has melted.
4. Fill the ring or mould, smooth the surface using a palette knife.
5. Chill in the fridge overnight or at least for 6 – 8 hours
6. When you are ready to serve make the sauce by placing the sugar and water in a pan over medium/high heat without stirring. Once the mixture turns a deep golden brown, add the butter.
7. Reduce the heat and add the cream.
8. Carefully remove the ring and serve with the sauce, strawberry, physalis and lemon balm.